« Home | River Plate 0-0 Racing (friendly) » | Estrela da Amadora 1-0 Penafiel (Taça de Portugal)... » | Milan 3-2 Udinese (Coppa Italia) » | Benfica 3 - 3 Sporting (7-6 on gp) - Portuguese Cu... » | Inzaghi back for cup test » | Athletic 3-2 Valladolid (Copa Del Rey) » | Copa Libertadores 2005 » | Defensor 2-2 Peñarol » | Est. Amadora 2-1 Ovarense » | Livorno 1-0 Milan » 

Thursday, January 27, 2005 

PSV 4 - 0 Volendam (Amstel Cup)

PSV have comfortably progressed to the Amstel Cup quarter finals by cruising to an emphatic 4-0 win over FC Volendam. The team of coach Guus Hiddink outclassed First Division side FC Volendam, who bowed to the inevitable 4-0 defeat in the Eindhoven Philips Stadium. PSV did not display a sparkling performance, but the crowd saw four goals on a fine evening.
Cup games may often produce shock results, but tonight the outcome was quite predictable. PSV tried to find an opening for half an hour before they broke the deadlock. When they doubled the advantage on the stroke of half time, the game was actually over before it had started. PSV quickly added two more goals after the restart, after which Hiddink took off a few players, just to be sure. So PSV cruised to their second home defeat in four days and since the start to the second period of the season they have scored eight goals and conceded none.

The opener was scored on 35 minutes. DaMarcus Beasley took a corner and Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink rose high above his marker and his glancing header struck home at the near post; 1-0. PSV had hardly been dangerous, although Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink hit the post on seven minutes. Beasley got a golden opportunity to get his name on the score sheet, but he dragged his shot wide of the goal, defended by Volendam keeper Frank van der Geest.

Ji-Sung Park made it 2-0 on the stroke of half time. PSV started a flowing move and Beasley delivered a sharp cross from the left wing; the Korean dived forwards and tapped the ball into the net. The visitors had bravely started some moves in the initial stages, but then PSV took over and controlled the game. They did not have to work hard to get a fair result.

When the second half was kicked off, Guus Hiddink had brought on two substitutes. Phillip Cocu and DaMarcus Beasley were replaced by John de Jong and Jefferson Farfán, who made a return after he had been troubled by chicken pox.

The Eindhoven team netted their third goal of the night within three minutes. Park produced a cross from the right; when Vennegoor of Hesselink attempted to fire on target, Volendam captain Peter Wijker pushed him in the back. The referee awarded a penalty and Mark van Bommel converted into the left corner; 3-0.

Just a few minutes later Van Bommel scored his second goal. Johann Vogel cleverly set him up. Van Bommel raced clear and put the ball into the empty net, after he had rounded the keeper. Hiddink then took off Vogel and thus Csaba Fehér was on the pitch for half an hour in order to get some match rhythm. PSV were content: they were in full control and slowly built up some more attacks. Ten minutes from final time Lee superbly found his country fellow Park, who - one to one with Van der Geest, beautifully lobbed the ball over the keeper on the bar.

PSV stepped down their efforts in the closing stages and did not score anymore goals.
PSV will be in action again on Sunday afternoon, when they travel to Waalwijk to meet RKC for a Holland Casino Eredivisie encounter.

Source: PSV.nl

best regards, nice info »

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » » »

Post a Comment


Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates