« Home | Salas misses Olimpo clash » | Real Madrid dismiss Mascherano signing » | Sutton causes Celtic concern » | Gattuso makes Milan commitment » | Gomes problem for PSV » | Estoril 0-1 Est. Amadora (Portuguese Cup) » | Danubio 2-0 Peñarol » | Milan 3-0 Atalanta » | G. Segoviana 0-1 Athletic (Copa del Rey) » | Celtic 2-3 Aberdeen » 

Saturday, October 30, 2004 

FC Utrecht 0 - 0 PSV (Derby United)

PSV maintained their unbeaten run, but failed in their mission to collect all three points, away against FC Utrecht on Friday night. Although the Eindhoven team created the best opportunities in the Utrecht Galgenwaard, they had to settle for a goalless draw in the end.

PSV were suffering from injury woe, ahead of their travels to FC Utrecht and captain Mark van Bommel could be added to the list of casualties on the match day.
Two weeks ago Vonlanthen showed he deserved a start against FC ADO Den Haag by scoring a first minute goal. Striker Sibon may have had similar plans in Utrecht. Defender Schut attempted to intercept a Beasley pass, but could not touch the ball. Sibon was put clear and could control the ball; his effort on 30 seconds, though, was too weak to and FC Utrecht goalkeeper Ponk was not impressed at all. FC Utrecht then started two fine moves; both El Gaaouiri and Douglas (overhead kick) brought out great saves from PSV keeper Zoetebier.

PSV, who had made a great many changes to the team that beat Ajax last Sunday, got into the game and began to dominate. Farfán collected a loose ball on 23 minutes, but Ponk pushed away his shot for a corner. Vogel blasted the ball just wide of the goal five minutes later and the visitors had another opportunity in the final stages of the first period. Douglas was dispossessed and Park was on his way to the goal. The South Korean was blocked in the area by his marker Shew-Atjon in the nick of time.

After the restart nothing much really changed; the rough pitch could be partly blamed for that. PSV had the first chance on three minutes. Bouma turned provider for Lee and he delivered a mix between a cross and a shot. His effort eventually went across the goal and Farfán missed the ball by some inches. Schut was the first player to be booked tonight, following a rather innocent foul on Farfán. On the hour mark the same player saw his effort go just wide of the goal.

On 63 minutes PSV got a golden opportunity to break the deadlock. Farfán cleverly evaded the offside-trap, but was thwarted by Ponk again. FC Utrecht then showed more passion, which resulted into the second yellow card: Somers was booked for a foul. Soon afterwards the referee also showed Sibon a yellow card, although his tackle was on the ball and clearly not on the diving Douglas. Beasley was taken off fifteen minutes from final time and Vennegoor of Hesselink came on to replace him.
Five minutes before the final whistle went, there was great uproar when Phillip Cocu allegedly played a ball back to keeper Zoetebier, who took the ball in his hands. Referee Vink had not seen the incident properly, but his assistant Meenhuis had and his decision to play on was correct..

PSV created the final chance of the evening; Park rounded his marker, but could not get the ball past Ponk on two occasions. FC Utrecht thanked their goalkeeper Ponk for earning a draw. So PSV had to settle for one point, although they managed to keep another clean sheet. PSV last had to concede a goal in the domestic league on 28 August last, when they met NAC Breda.

FC Utrecht: Ponk, Cornelisse, Di Tomasso, Schut, Shew-Atjon (69. Keller), De Jong (75. Zuidam), Somers, Tanghe, Douglas, Van de Haar, El Gaaouiri (73. Leitoe)

PSV: Zoetebier, Lucius, Cocu, Bouma, Lee, Vogel, Fehér, Park, Sibon (89. Vonlanthen), Farfán, Beasley (79. Vennegoor)

Source: PSV.nl

best regards, nice info » »

Post a Comment


Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates