« Home | Mourinho given two-match ban » | Ajax 0 - 4 PSV » | V. Setúbel 0 - 2 Benfica » | Hamburg 2 - 3 Dortmund » | Zaragoza 2 - 2 Austria Wien (Uefa Cup) » | FC Groningen 0 - 1 PSV » | Hamburg Ressurection » | Anderson to bolster Benfica ranks » | Van Hooijdonk heading home » | Fenerbahçe 3 - 2 Gençlerbirliği » 

Monday, April 04, 2005 

PSV 2 - 0 FC Utrecht

PSV eased to a straight 2-0 win over FC Utrecht on Saturday night, ahead of the crucial Champions league clash against Lyon. The leaders of the Dutch league earned another three points and they did not have to dig deep to maintain their winning run. The visitors were harmless and did not believe in a shock result at all.

PSV had nothing to fear from Utrecht, who never displayed their familiar characteristics like spirit, passion and stamina. The visitors seemed to have reconciled themselves to having to return home without having grabbed any points. They hoped to be able to produce some counter attacks, but they hardly ever succeeded in doing so. PSV did not have to give their all; they were satisfied with the three points and the fact that the players had come safe through the game.
Guus Hiddink had fielded Theo Lucius in midfield to replace the suspended Swiss international Johann Vogel, but did not change his successful system. His FC Utrecht colleague Foeke Booy had some bad injury news to cope with. Darl Douglas was ruled out with a groin problem and Jean-Paul de Jong, who was troubled by a painful toe, was also out. Stefaan Tanghe was suspended, so Booy needed some time to think out a starting line-up. Michael Mols started on the bench and FC Utrecht top scorer Hans van de Haar was positioned as a lone striker up front.

The game started at a low pace; FC Utrecht defended and PSV tried to find an opening. The hosts put up a wall of defenders, hoped for the odd counter and invited PSV to make it a game. It took PSV 37 minutes to break the deadlock. FC Utrecht Joost Terol keeper saved a Wilfred Bouma free kick, but Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink superbly controlled the rebound before lashing home, bagging his fifteenth goal of the season. A few minutes 'VOH' started the move by which PSV doubled their advantage. He somehow found Ji-Sung Park, when Etienne Shew-Atjon had deflected his pass. The ball fell to the South Korean, who was left completely unmarked and rifled the ball into the roof of net, 2-0.

FC Utrecht were hardly inclined to try and salvage something after the break, either. PSV dominated the game and patiently waited for chances. It was not easy as the visitors had retreated to their own area. Hiddink took off Jefferson Farfán on 60 minutes and DaMarcus Beasley came on to replace him. The Peruvian winger was played at the right wing and Park moved over to the left flank. Utrecht had some time left to at least pull one goal back, but they refused to move men forward and PSV finished the game in a business-like way. Robert was given a chance to get some match rhythm, when he left the bench to take over from Phillip Cocu.

PSV will follow the Feyenoord - AZ tie tomorrow in a confident mood and the squad will take off for Lyon on Monday.

Goals: 37 Vennegoor of Hesselink, 42 Park

Source: PSV.nl

Wonderful and informative web site. I used information from that site its great. » » »

Post a Comment


Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates