« Home | Milan 1-0 Chelsea (CL) » | Estrela da Amadora 1-0 Desportivo de Chaves » | Flamengo 2-2 Botafogo » | River Plate 3-1 Insituto » | Hamburger SV 1 - 0 Bayer Leverkusen » | Athletic 3-1 Albacete » | Peñarol 2-2 Tacuarembó » | Atalanta 1-2 Milan » | Hibernian 1-3 Celtic » | Monchengladbach 1-0 Wolfsburg » 

Thursday, March 10, 2005 

Monaco 0 - 2 PSV (Aggregate: 0-3) - CL

Last season's UEFA Champions League finalists AS Monaco FC bowed out as goals from Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink and DaMarcus Beasley took PSV Eindhoven through to the last eight.

Crucial goals
Vennegoor of Hesselink powered in a header to give PSV a crucial away goal midway through the first half and leave Monaco needing three to progress. It proved too tall an order against a powerful and well-disciplined Dutch side, who sealed a 3-0 aggregate win when Beasley added another goal not long after arriving as a substitute.

Chevantón comeback
Fit-again Monaco striker Ernesto Chevantón was handed his first start of 2005, partnering Javier Saviola in attack while Mohamed Kallon moved to the right. Coach Didier Deschamps, still without injured defender Sébastien Squillaci, otherwise kept faith with the team that lost 1-0 in Eindhoven. PSV named an unchanged side, with Jefferson Farfán and Ji-Sung Park patrolling the flanks and Vennegoor of Hesselink up front.

Cagey start
The game started in cagey fashion with neither side prepared to take any early risks. Monaco created the first clear chance in the eleventh minute, Jaroslav Plašil chipping through for Kallon who saw his left-footed shot smothered by Heurelho Gomes. On 18 minutes, PSV were stretched again when Chevantón broke free down the right and slipped a pass inside for Saviola who found Plašil, but the Czech midfield player hesitated long enough to allow André Ooijer to block his shot. Plašil was in space again moments later but fizzed a shot just over the bar.

PSV strike
PSV then showed how dangerous they are on the break, Park racing on to a flicked header from Vennegoor of Hesselink only to see his cross blocked at the near post. However, it was still against the run of play when PSV took the lead on 27 minutes. As was the case in the first leg, the goal came from a corner, Phillip Cocu crossing from the right and Vennegoor of Hesselink arriving unopposed at the near post to head in. It left last season's finalists needing three goals to avoid elimination.

Roma save
Monaco seemed shell-shocked and struggled to find their rhythm again. Aside from another Chevantón free-kick, this time easily saved by Gomes, they posed little attacking threat before the break. Indeed Monaco were fortunate not to go in two down at half-time as Park burst through and saw his attempted lob saved by Flavio Roma.

Visitors well-organised
The home side came out with renewed vigour in the second half but PSV showed good organisation and were proving difficult to break down. Cocu was particularly impressive, closing down the spaces in front of his defence. In the 48th minute, Saviola threaded a pass through for Chevantón but the Uruguayan was brilliantly marshalled by Wilfred Bouma who eventually blocked the shot.

Saviola shoots over
For once Chevantón succeeded in working space for himself inside the box just after the hour, but this time his snap-shot was pushed out by Gomes diving to his left. The loose ball dropped for Kallon, he cut the ball back for Saviola but the Argentinian lifted his shot over from close range.

Lead increases
Emmanuel Adebayor came on for Plašil to give Monaco a three-pronged attack, but soon PSV scored again. Park did well to tease a low cross behind Monaco's defence and Beasley, who two minutes earlier had replaced Vennegoor of Hesselink, sidefooted in. Monaco's frustration boiled over in the closing stages and Gaël Givet was shown a straight red card for a clumsy foul on Farfán.

Goals: 26' Vennegoor, 69' Beasley

Source: UEFA.com


Powered by Blogger
and Blogger Templates